In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Introducing Commissions on deviantART
We've launched our new Commissions widget to everyone, enabling artists to generate real earnings through custom creations. Artists can list their commission availability through the widget on their profile, clients can then request commissions from them, and once the artist accepts, they receive payment which then shows up as profit on their My Earnings page.
Brush Updates for deviantART muro
Several additions have been made to deviantART muro in the form of new brush tools!
- We've been beta testing a text brush that is now released to everyone. You can paint on your canvas with words, and there's a large variety of fonts to choose from!
- Based on a suggestion by WilloughbyArevalo, we've also added to the eraser tool, so that you can erase using some of the same stylistic brushes that you use to draw! This allows for an even more dynamic creation experience with deviantART muro.
Coming Soon: The New Submit Art Page!
One of the most heavily used features on deviantART is getting an upgrade! We'll soon be releasing improvements to the submission process. From uploading and selecting files to choosing a category, every step has been re-designed and reviewed by our teams to ensure a user-friendly submission process. It's a whole new way to get your art out to the world. And with this comes new technology that will allow us to add even more features in the coming months.
The New Submit page has been in limited release to a group of several hundred thousand deviants and we've received an amazing amount of feedback. Thanks to such feedback, we've made further improvements to the page and fixed issues that arose during the limited release. Our data has since shown a significant increase in successful submissions among those using New Submit. Thanks again to all who have provided feedback; we're almost ready to release it to everyone!
- The Collections sidebar of one's Favourites page could not be re-arranged in Google Chrome. Fixed by shahyarg
- There were some minor issues with dragging thumbnails in some browsers. Fixed by shahyarg
- Custom Gallery Folder icons were overlapping when viewed in Firefox. Fixed by shahyarg
Sta.sh / New Submit
- When using the left and right arrow keys to browse through stacks, sometimes the image would shift. Fixed by drommk
- The "remember settings" option didn't work properly if "My Scrapbook" or "My Journal" was selected. Fixed by drommk
- Under rare circumstances, a "loading editor failed" error would occur. Fixed by drommk
- Embed codes for film and deviantART muro redraws stopped working in Writer, and would instead disappear. Fixed by kemayo
- For Sta.sh comments, if the comment was posted with an unclosed HTML tag, the comment would display as cut off in Internet Explorer. Fixed by inazar
- Sta.sh Writer would delete skinned journal entry contents when editing in Internet Explorer. Fixed by Alisey
- An extra empty line was added when splitting up a blockquote. Fixed by Alisey
Thank you for the feedback left on the previous two Site Updates! Here's some of what you had to say, in the midst of the holiday season.
- Feedback regarding the changes made to literature thumbnails with preview images was largely positive.
- In addition, some deviants mentioned that they would like to add preview images to literature deviations submitted through Sta.sh Writer, as well. For reference, this is something we do intend to implement in the future!
- Some deviants would like a word count to display in Sta.sh Writer. Suggested by ohsparrowsong
Commissions and deviantART muro Brush Updates
What do you think of the new options that have been added? How do you think you'll make use of the Commissions widget? What are your thoughts on the new brush tools? If you create something using the new brush tools, please link to them in your comment!