In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Improved DMCA Reporting System
DeviantART is dedicated to protecting our artists, and in an effort to be able to more quickly handle complaints by deviants who have had their rights infringed on, we have changed the way we receive complaints from the artist or the copyright holder.
We have now enabled artists and copyright holders to file DMCA takedown requests through an easy to use form. The DMCA is a formal notice and takedown system for copyright owners. It is not an arbitrary set of rules created by deviantART; it is a legal process which is respected the world over. You can find more information on the DMCA, how it works and what it does here.
Update to the Submit Page: Multiple Uploads
In response to community feedback, we have added a method to upload multiple files at once from the Submit page. When on the Submit page, you can click "Choose Files from Sta.sh", at which point you will be prompted with a modal where you can upload several files at once to your Sta.sh, and then select which one you would like to submit.
This functionality takes the place of the File Deck of the old submit page, while also adding a layer of security for your files by keeping them saved in your Sta.sh until you're ready to submit them. As mentioned last week, we are working on a seperate feature that will allow you to easily prepare multiple files for submission all within one page.
- Optimizations were made to browsing using the "Next" and "Previous" buttons. With this, the structure of deviantART's URLs have been updated to more efficiently direct you to specific artworks, and deviation pages will load more consistently when browsing from one to another. Added by shadowhand, muteor, and banks
- A +Watch button and View Gallery link were added to the More Like This results page when browsing in Artists view. Added by yury-n
- In Firefox, some modals would redirect to a previously visited page when clicking "Done". Fixed by aMoniker
- Text beneath thumbnails did not display properly in Group galleries. Fixed by shahyarg
- Some narrow image thumbnails did not display clearly in the Message Center. Fixed by aMoniker
- Non-Latin character encoding prevented some Notes from displaying properly. Fixed by aMoniker
- Punctuation affected the character limit allowed for a Profile page tagline. Fixed by randomduck
- Some domains would fail validation when used as email addresses for joining or changing one's email address. Fixed by helloandre
- When editing the Commissions widget, canceling the edits would make the pencil icon button vanish. Fixed by aMoniker
- In the "Submit to a Group" modal, scrolling was broken in cases where several matching group names were found. Fixed by aMoniker
- The "Arrange" tool in Gallery folders would sort deviations based on the date of its creation, rather than based on the date it was published. Fixed by randomduck
- Some updates were made to the Sta.sh API based on developer requests, such as additional metadata and the addition of a "delete folder" call. Fixed by aMoniker
- The Sta.sh API was not properly including the contents of Sta.sh Writer deviations. Fixed by aMoniker
- There was a display issue for Safari for Windows users, if they also had the Wacom plugin installed. Fixed by mudimba
- Redraws would not play properly if the deviation was reached by using the "Next" and "Previous" buttons. Fixed by mudimba
Sta.sh / Submit
- Clicking "Delete" on a Sta.sh item did not prompt a warning before deletion. Fixed by adahacker
- Pressing escape when editing a file's description would make the browser leave the page. Fixed by drommk
- Pressing escape when editing a stack's description would delete its description. Fixed by drommk
- Dragging to select did not start when clicking certain places. Fixed by drommk
- The selection box would appear when dragging an item into a stack. Fixed by drommk
- On the Edit page, the description box did not resize for text with no spaces. Fixed by drommk
- When editing text, there were occasional error messages, and the progress indicator would go missing. Fixed by adahacker
- No warning was given when trying to submit Prints on Group-exclusive deviations. Fixed by drommk
- Dropping files into the "Select File from Sta.sh" modal would break the Submit page. Fixed by adahacker
- In some circumstances, the category selector would not load. Fixed by adahacker
- The Submit header was blank in Mobile Safari. Fixed by samshull
- The "Upload" button did not display in Mobile Safari. Fixed by drommk
- When using the integration of deviantART muro in Sta.sh Writer, the drawn-on version of an image could still be embedded in Journals and Sta.sh comments after the original was deleted. Fixed by kemayo
- Deviations marked as mature content did not display properly in Sta.sh Writer. Fixed by kemayo
- Images smaller than 50x50px would be hidden behind a "show images" box, when embedded in Sta.sh comments. Fixed by inazar
- Some deviants would occasionally encounter a "someone else has edited this draft" error message. Fixed by Alisey
- In Firefox, pasting text into Sta.sh Writer would cause the cursor to jump to the top of the document. Fixed by Alisey
- Pasting text into Sta.sh Writer when using Firefox would often trigger incorrect indentation. Fixed by Alisey
Thank you for the feedback left on last week's Site Update!
- Deviants were positive regarding the improved Twitter and Facebook integrations, as well as the preview for multiple submissions.
- Several deviants were excited about scheduled submissions, and some deviants asked if scheduled submissions would include Journals. Journals written in Sta.sh Writer (and thereby submitted through the Submit page) would be able to be scheduled.
- Some deviants would like to have a countdown widget for their Profile page. Suggested by Krissi001 and icefire8521