In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Improved deviantART Integration on Twitter and Facebook
We're excited to announce that we just implemented enhancements to the way deviantART links display on Twitter, giving you and your artwork more prominence and exposure! Not only do these changes give artists a bigger presence across Twitter by allowing them to reach a bigger audience, but they also encourage proper attribution.
- For a brief period, "Next" and "Previous" buttons were not available for comment threads. Fixed by $shahyarg
- When viewing the emoticon directory by creator, clicking on an emoticon creator's name would open their page inside the emoticon modal. Fixed by $shahyarg
- Clicking the "Next" and "Previous" buttons to browse through pages of Notes did not work properly. Fixed by $aMoniker
- Comment stacks in the Message Center would display oldest comments first regardless of what setting was chosen. Fixed by $yury-n
- In some conditions, adding a Profile or Group widget by dragging and dropping would put the widget in the wrong place. Fixed by $yury-n
- Some EXIF data would display incorrectly, for some camera models. Fixed by $yury-n
- There were frequent Flash timeouts in dAmn for Chrome users. Fixed by $shahyarg
- Film deviations flagged as mature content did not work if 'view anyway' was clicked. Fixed by $yury-n
- Line heights between rows of thumbnails were not consistent in various browsers. Fixed by $shahyarg
- The "Jump to result" feature on Browse pages was broken in Internet Explorer. Fixed by $banks
- For Internet Explorer users with endless scrolling enabled, the URL did not change when scrolling through deviations, so users could not refresh the page and keep their place. Fixed by $banks
- File saving would fail in some instances in Safari. Reported by ~oOChocolateOo, fixed by $mudimba
- Some modals would improperly have a black background in Safari. Reported by ~oOChocolateOo, fixed by $mudimba
- If the eraser tool was clicked and released without moving the cursor, it would not make a mark. Fixed by $mudimba
Thank you for the feedback left on last week's Site Update! Several deviants left passionate comments, and as such we wanted to address them.
Any new feature launch takes time to get used to, and that timeframe differs from person to person. Additionally, it takes time for us to review feedback, analyze the issues people have, identify which concerns are because of bugs (vs. feature requests), and to discuss internally to decide on an appropriate plan of action.
We've identified some areas that deviants have mentioned they missed or were confused about (such as the "change main file" option being hard to locate), and have collected this feedback to discuss ways we can address, or fix, these concerns. As we progress, we will continue to monitor feedback and concerns to ensure that we are taking the actions that will best benefit the community and site as a whole.
Thank you for your bug reports!
There are some bugs that deviants have mentioned; in some of these cases, bugs do not occur consistently, or there are only scattered reports. In those cases, we have a harder time recreating them in order to fix them. If you encounter a bug of any sort when submitting, please file a New Submit Inquiry at the Help Desk. Any information you provide can help us to recreate the bug, and then locate and fix the root problem more quickly.
Here are the bugs related to the new submit page that were fixed within the past week. Thank you for reporting these bugs!
- The "Submit" button would sometimes require two clicks. Fixed by $drommk
- New deviations didn't reflect that Prints were enabled, upon submission. Fixed by $samshull
- There was an error loading the Edit page, when editing deviations. Fixed by $drommk
- Editing a deviation would mess up the site header. Fixed by $adahacker
- The autocomplete function built into some browsers did not work on the Submit page. Fixed by $adahacker
- Selecting "Reset submission" would sometimes result in a blank page. Fixed by $drommk
- The Submit page will now prompt a warning if all Gallery folders and Groups are deselected, to help clarify where the submission can be found. Fixed by $adahacker
- Unicode descriptions did not display correctly on the Edit page. Fixed by $drommk
- Visual improvements were made to the Submit Prints form. Fixed by $drommk
Here are some of the known issues that we are currently looking into:
- The "change main file" option does not work consistently for Internet Explorer 9.
- There is no way to upload multiple files at once from the Submit page.
Coming Soon: Multiple Submissions and Scheduled Submissions
In addition to the improvements we have made and will continue to make, the launch of the new submit page means that we can now implement more new features that the old submit page did not support, such as multiple submissions (previewed below) and scheduled submissions. These two projects are currently in development, and are some of the most frequent feature requests that we've received.