In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
More Like This on Deviation Pages
Please note: This feature is available to a limited number of members and will be rolled out to everyone over time.
We've brought More Like This results to deviation pages, to make the experience of exploring art on deviantART even easier than before! Featuring a mix of art from the artist whose deviation you are viewing and related artwork created by other artists, More Like This lets you delve even deeper into a world of artwork you love.
- In the Message Center, deviation titles and authors displayed incorrectly in Critique stacks. Fixed by yury-n
- When using Firefox on Android devices, the keyboard would automatically open on the home page in some cases, due to the search field being auto-focused. Fixed by banks
- The Customization > Icons > Misc category briefly did not accept .jpg files. Fixed by shahyarg
- In the Journal Portal section of the site footer, the "comments" labels were misplaced. Fixed by helloandre
- When changing the category of a Group Journal from "Personal Journal" to anything else, the new category was not saved. Fixed by helloandre
- Paging was briefly broken on some pages and modals. Fixed by shahyarg
Sta.sh / New Submit
- Dragging the mouse to select was very slow when a large amount of Sta.sh items were present. Fixed by adahacker
- The title of the browser tab did not update when the file was renamed. Fixed by drommk
- The "Submit Prints" step would consistently generate an "invalid value" error. Fixed by adahacker
- Unchecking the "Submit Prints" checkbox when editing did nothing. Fixed by drommk
- Editing a Journal's category could cause it to show up in one's Gallery. Fixed by adahacker
- Pressing "Done" in Writer would sometimes remove Sta.sh Writer documents from stacks other than the "Drafts" stack. Fixed by kemayo
- Pressing tab when in lists will now indent the list item, if appropriate. Fixed by Alisey
- Pressing tab three times would cause the cursor to jump past the current word. Fixed by Alisey
- Submitting multiple comments on Sta.sh items without reloading the page would cause problems. Fixed by inazar
- For mobile devices, the Sta.sh Writer sidebar covered things up when trying to comment. Fixed by inazar
Thank you for the feedback left on last week's Site Update! Quite a bit of feedback was left, and we wanted to address a few concerns that were raised in the comments.
- Questions were raised regarding the royalty structure of 80% for artists and 20% for deviantART.
- To put things simply, it costs money to run deviantART. This feature alone required building a new interface for the widget, a My Earnings accounting system, integrations to allow conversion of Points to U.S. Dollars, constructing a range of new backend functions for the Submit process, a new Message Center feature organizing all correspondence about commissions using the widget, and the integration of the deviantART Points platform that permits micro-payments without the buyers using credit cards. The fee helps us build these things, and there is more to come and more to be built.
- We are considering tiered fees in the future for people who reach monthly sales levels, and for Premium Members, but we’d like to see this spread out onto the site before making those changes, so we can accurately project where the breaks for the different levels should be placed.
- Anyone who chooses to use the widget will be providing us valuable insight and data that we will use to mold the future of the widget and the forthcoming Portal/search ability that will allow people to browse and discover artists who are offering commissions.
- There was a concern voiced by some deviants that we would try to make the Commissions widget mandatory.
- This is not the case. The Commissions widget is and will be an optional tool that deviants can use, but no one is obligated to use it if they prefer not to.
- Many deviants were pleased with the updates to deviantART muro.
- The suggestion regarding a word count in Sta.sh Writer was well received.
- Some deviants would like a way to sort through deviations in their Message Center based on whether or not the deviations have critique requested. Suggested by tisinrei