In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
The New Submission Process
- Several obsolete, deleted categories still had deviations in them. Fixed by shahyarg
- Firefox for Android was not recognized as a mobile browser. Fixed by aMoniker
- For a brief period, Journals would always submit to the Personal category, no matter what category was selected. Fixed by helloandre
- Banned users could get stuck on the Llama Trade page. Fixed by shahyarg
- For a short time, the navigation buttons for comments on some deviation pages were not working. Fixed by muteor
- The Share button for Pinterest was broken on Prints pages. Fixed by aMoniker
- The main menu was not working properly for Android browsers. Fixed by aMoniker
- Blocked users visiting a critiqueable deviation received an odd message when trying to leave a critique. Fixed by helloandre
- .png images were not allowed into some categories where jpegs were allowed. Fixed by shahyarg
- Under some circumstances, the profit display shown on a deviant's My Earnings page could be off by 1 penny due to a rounding error. This only affected the profit's display, and not the profit itself. Fixed by yury-n
- The "Next" and "Previous" buttons on a deviant's own Gallery and Favorites were briefly non-functional. Fixed by muteor
- Some deviants encountered a redirect error when accessing muro from Internet Explorer 8. Fixed by mudimba
- There were some errors in certain circumstances when entering text for the text brush. Fixed by mudimba
- When using deviantART muro in comments, the text brush was unintentionally selectable. Fixed by mudimba
- deviantART muro is now useable for smaller screen/window sizes. Fixed by mudimba
- The eraser tools were unintentionally disabled for drawing in selected areas. Fixed by mudimba
- There were slight cosmetic issues with the "Import Image" interface. Fixed by mudimba
Sta.sh / New Submit
- Editing a deviation's category and Prints settings did not work on mobile devices. Fixed by drommk
- Changing a deviation's main file in editor did not visually display a change. Fixed by drommk
- Instructions did not appear correctly on the "Submit Prints" and Premium Content checkboxes. Fixed by adahacker
- The Submit page did not have a "Reset submission" option for deviations created with Sta.sh Writer. Fixed by adahacker
- When editing already published deviations, the colors and button positions in modals were displaying incorrectly. Fixed by drommk
- Premium Content was not remembered when "remember these settings" was selected. Fixed by adahacker
- The "saving" notification for autosave has been updated. Fixed by adahacker
- The "show preview" link for descriptions was moved outside of the text box, for the sake of clarity. Fixed by adahacker
- A checkbox to use default settings for prints was added. Fixed by drommk
- A checkbox was added so the file being submitted as the deviation can also be included as Premium Content. Fixed by adahacker
- There were some rendering issues in Sta.sh comments for Safari 6 users with Mountain Lion. Fixed by kemayo
- Clicking "done" on Sta.sh Writer while deviantART muro was still saving changes made to an image in the document would cause Sta.sh Writer to exit before the drawing changes had been saved. Fixed by kemayo
- The Writer sidebar would cover the screen, when leaving Sta.sh comments on mobile devices. Fixed by inazar
- Some formatting issues occurred for literature and Journal thumbnails, particularly when included in a Journal. Fixed by Alisey
- The "Conversation" tab in Sta.sh comments would display a single column of thumbs, instead of two. Fixed by Alisey
- Regarding More Like This on deviation pages, while some deviants enjoyed the ways this new feature could get even more eyes on their deviations, others were dissatisfied. Some deviants felt it should be moved further down the page, others felt it would lower traffic to their own artwork, and still others didn't want the artwork of others to display on their deviation pages.
- Based solely on statistics we've tracked since last week, there's been a great improvement in the amount of traffic since the launch of More Like This on the deviation page. While a rough average for deviantART's pageviews in 2012 was around 80 million per day, on Sunday alone, this number jumped to 91 million pageviews -- 11 million more views in just one day.
- The More Like This box generally favors artwork created by the deviant whose art is being featured, but even in cases where it displays similar art by other artists, keep in mind that this means your works may be showcased in More Like This results for other deviations. With More Like This, your art stands a better chance of being seen by people who love art just like yours, directly displaying it to its target audience and bringing more traffic to your deviations than by search or random discovery alone.
- As mentioned in last week's Site Update, this feature is still being tested. It is not yet visible to everyone and is not finalized. We are going to continue the testing process, as we want to do what's best for the community as a whole. During the testing process, we will be open to the successes and failures of various trials and will continue to monitor community feedback. Keep an eye on hq for further journals dedicated to this topic.
- A few deviants mentioned that they encountered mature content in the More Like This section that they felt they shouldn't see.
- More Like This results respect the Mature Content settings of the viewer, so if you see something that you feel you shouldn't see for Mature Content reasons, then it is likely because the deviation has not been flagged as mature. If you feel it should be, go to that deviation's page, click "Report Deviation", and select "Mature Tag Needed" from the options that appear.
- Deviants would like to use deviantART muro in Notes. Suggested by Ohthehumanityplz