In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Thumbnail Size Testing, Part 2 (Beta Testers)
In addition to the feedback we gathered from Beta Testers on the size testing tool, this week we're continuing our research by implementing a test that randomly assigns Beta Testers a different size for viewing thumbnails.
The New Sta.sh Comments
We've upgraded Sta.sh comments, allowing you to easily add formatting and media to comments. You can now pull in images to your comments and then draw on those images using deviantART muro! This new feature, powered by Sta.sh Writer, makes collaboration in Sta.sh even better!
- The "Add Comment" button would disappear when replying to comments on a deviation. Fixed by shadowhand
- The Group Info button on some Groups pages was briefly not prompting the info to appear. Fixed by Nodren
- When creating a new forum thread, the preview button was not working. Fixed by shadowhand
- On Group blogs, the pencil menu for moderating comments was not available to Group administrators. Fixed by kemayo and yury-n
- The Message Center would appear blank for a short period of time on mobile devices. Fixed by shadowhand
- Several modals were not opening or would display as broken. Fixed by Nodren, aMoniker and kemayo
- Messaging was inconsistent on the error pages of deactivated and banned accounts. Fixed by yury-n
- On the mobile site, the top header would cause overflow on some sections of the site. Fixed by shadowhand
- For Opera web browsers, the "Send a Note" modal did not acknowledge that a note was sent. Fixed by shahyarg
- The "blocked users" form on the settings page had unnecessary extra space. Fixed by aMoniker
- Some Groups with a very high number of Gallery folders were unable to change settings on the Manage Members page. Fixed by randomduck
- The Prints Submission page had some cosmetic issues. Fixed by yury-n
- Notes folders were slow to load in Chrome. Fixed by shadowhand
- Filetype restrictions were changed on some categories in the Contests and Resources galleries. Fixed by aMoniker
- In some instances, the "To:" field was not automatically filled when sending a Note via profile. Fixed by shadowhand
- The shadows on literature thumbnails were misaligned on Group gallery pages. Fixed by shahyarg
- The More Like This thumbnail hover button's behavior has been improved for tablet devices. Fixed by helloandre
- Errors would sometimes occur when a new drawing was started and the first autosave was attempted. Fixed by mudimba
- Stacks with a large amount of items in them would sometimes not delete properly. Fixed by kouiskas
- Broken-looking contest banners would appear on Sta.sh items that were saved with a contest category set. Fixed by kouiskas
- Group journal RSS feeds contained unapproved entries instead of entries submitted through Writer. Fixed by kemayo
- Group journals had a hard-to-trigger case where approving an entry to appear in one Group would also approve it for other Groups it had been submitted to. Fixed by kemayo
- Dragging and dropping from the Writer sidebar would cause scrolling issues. Fixed by Alisey
- For Windows users on Chrome, blocks of text followed by
could not be deleted using backspace. Fixed by Alisey
- Image tags would display for artwork in thumbnails. Fixed by Alisey
Thanks very much for the feedback left on last week's Site Update! Here's some of what you had to say.
- Several members mentioned that they don't change their page settings particularly often, though some mentioned that their deviantID or avatar may change based on mood or changes in the style of art they create.
- Members would like to be able to sort stacks in their message center based on how many messages are in each stack. Suggested by GospodinP
- Some deviants would like to be able to mark messages in their Message Center as read. Suggested by Jjaystar94
- Deviants would like animation frame support for deviantART muro. Suggested by Krissi001
- Some members would like to have an "Invite to Group" button on profiles, to make inviting deviants an easier process. Suggested by Sarah-BK
Commissions are a common activity on deviantART where a client will pay an artist in exchange for creating a unique piece of artwork for them. We're curious about how you use or take commissions on deviantART. If you accept or purchase commissions, we'd love to hear from you.
- For artists, what type of prices do you normally charge?
- How do you prefer to pay or receive payments?
- How many commission "slots" do you typically have open at a time?
- How do you prefer to communicate between artist and client? Via deviantART Notes? Email? IM?