In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Undiscovered (Beta): Unearthing Quality Art
Each day, hundreds of thousands of pieces of art are submitted to deviantART. As more and more artists join, create, and share their work, it becomes easy for high quality art to miss its chance to stand out and be seen.
Our new browse mode, Undiscovered, aims to bring new, high quality artwork to the foreground.
The New Way To Write Journals
Writing a Journal is easier than ever with the new Write a Journal Entry page. Add formatting, artwork, files, Journal Skins, and emoticons to your Journal for a more dynamic journal creation experience!
Read more »
Notifications for Commissions
A new set of notifications have been added to the Message Center to bring more exposure to artists offering Commissions!
- Clicking on a username inside the "Who faved this?" modal would open that deviant's Profile inside of the modal. Fixed by muteor
- The "Give Points" modal would stretch in Firefox and not display properly. Fixed by inazar
- For Internet Explorer users, the "Send Note" modal on Profile Pages was briefly broken. Fixed by shahyarg
- The "Submit to group" modal stayed open when using browser back button and going to previous deviation page. Fixed by muteor
- Chat failed to load for a short period. Fixed by shahyarg
- Selecting multiple categories when setting up a Channel would generate an incorrect search query. Fixed by DEVlANT
- Clicking a thumbnail in the footer would display an error before loading the deviation page. Fixed by muteor
- The order of examples included in a Commission would change when saved. Fixed by adahacker
- The Website Button was removed because of its lack of use. Removed by shadowhand
- When updating a Journal in the Journal Portal, selecting "Notify your deviantWATCHERs" did not work. Fixed by randomduck
- Social widgets in Journals did not work when those Journals were reached using the "Next" or "Previous" buttons. Fixed by shadowhand
- Banned users would encounter unhelpful error messages when attempting to install widgets. Fixed by adahacker
- In rare situations, mostly due to browser incompatibilities, the Fill tool could behave incorrectly when watching a Redraw. Reported by Kuro-fukurou and fixed by mudimba
Sta.sh / Submit
- An extra "Upload" button would appear in Sta.sh. Fixed by drommk
- When opening the Schedule menu, people would sometimes see NaN instead of the date, and scheduling wouldn't work properly. Fixed by kouiskas
- The layout of the Submit page was broken for iPhones and iPads. Fixed by kouiskas
- Duplicate tabs would appear when refusing to accept the Terms of Service. Fixed by kouiskas
- For some deviation types, first-time submitters were being asked to accept the Terms of Service, even if they already had. Fixed by drommk
- The category preview panel wouldn't clear when going to or from certain categories. Fixed by drommk
- Some users would get an alert mentioning fatal errors when trying to submit to Groups. Fixed by kouiskas
- The toolbar was widened slightly for a cleaner layout. Fixed by inazar
- Pasting markup into Writer could become a potential XSS vector. Fixed by Alisey
- Pressing Tab to jump from a Sta.sh comment to the "Submit Comment" button did not work. Fixed by inazar
- When previewing a comment, the comment box view did not resize if the window was resized. Fixed by inazar
- The Preview button in the toolbar did not always reflect the correct state. Fixed by inazar
- When previewing a comment in Sta.sh, the "Close Preview" button overlapped with the scrollbar. Fixed by inazar
- The conversation sidebar would not display at all if only some of its contents failed to load. Fixed by inazar
- Browsing away from a Sta.sh item would not reset the sidebar. Fixed by inazar
- Clicking into a comment box at the bottom of the page would expand the Writer toolbar and sidebar off the bottom of the screen. Fixed by inazar
Thank you for the feedback left on last week's Site Update! Here's some of what you had to say:
- Deviants were pleased with the launch of Multi-Submit and Scheduled Submit. Some deviants mentioned that they would like these tools to be open to everyone, while others said that they feel they are good Premium Member features.
- Deviants were positive about the new Ideas Forum. We are still actively reading through and analyzing suggestions, but we encourage you to continue to use the new forum, or try it out if you haven't done so yet!
- Responses to the Discuss topic varied. Some deviants said that they don't use mobile apps when creating art, while others mentioned frequently using them to create. Some of the apps that deviants mentioned include Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage, Procreate, and Art Studio for iOS.
The New Journal Writer
Have you given the new Write a Journal Entry page a try? If so, what do you like about it? Do you prefer to use rich-text, or do you switch to HTML mode? What features do you find most useful, when writing a Journal?