In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
The New deviantART Mobile Site
One of the most common requests from the community has been to update deviantART's mobile site. By popular demand, we've released a brand new version of the mobile site! The site is officially supported in the default browsers for the iPhone and Android phones and tablets.
Instead of developing two separate versions of the site—a desktop version and a mobile version—we've formatted the desktop site to fit into a mobile browser. This allows the mobile site to offer many more features than the previous version did, and it also makes for a more smooth user experience. The end result is a seamless mobile site, and it looks a little like this:
- You can Browse art, check your Message Center, reply to Notes, browse your friends' Profiles and Galleries, visit the Forums, view today's Daily Deviations and do almost everything else you can on the desktop version of the site!
- The drop down menu usually located in the top left corner of the site can be accessed by tapping on the deviantART logo, allowing you to easily access familiar tools without complication.
- You can find wallpapers for your phone using the "Wallpaper" app available in the main menu!
- The Message Center is located in one place, which makes responding to comments and browsing art and Journals a quick, easy experience. Deviants who enjoy viewing their Message Center one section at a time can tap on the arrow next to "Messages" at the top of the Message Center. This will prompt the Message Center's left sidebar to appear and allow selection one section of the Message Center to view at a time.
- Journal Skin designers, if you'd like control how your skin looks in a mobile browser, learn how to use our new mobile media queries.
Prints Integration on Deviation Pages
We've implemented an easier way to purchase art on deviantART! When viewing a deviation that is enabled as a Print, you'll be met with a sleek new menu that is designed to be simple and straightforward.
We've moved the Prints functionality from its own separate page and placed it within the deviation page, to help artists sell more of their work, and to reduce friction for buyers looking to purchase art they love.
The New Submit Art Page (Beta Testers Only)
Beta Testers, we're bringing you a complete revamp of the Submit Art page! While the page you're familiar with has been a long-standing part of deviantART, the new page is designed to be more intuitive, user-friendly, and up to date with deviantART as it is today.
More Improvements to More Like This (Beta Testers Only)
Back in August we launched More Like This to Beta, and after taking in your feedback, we made some improvements, which we're pleased to say were met with positive response! Today, we're bringing you even more improvements, both to More Like This results and your browsing experience!
- The text entry box for Notes had a very narrow fixed width, and was not resizable. Fixed by shahyarg
- Users were briefly unable to receive Birthday Cake badges. Fixed by KnightAR
- The "Show All Groups" link on deviation pages was not working while browsing using the "next" and "previous" buttons. Fixed by shadowhand
- The Share dropdown menu on deviation pages and the Facebook and Tumblr Share buttons in the footer were broken while while browsing using the "next" and "previous" buttons. Fixed by aMoniker
- The Stick Menu did not display properly in IE8, and instead displayed blank space. Fixed by shahyarg
- The Daily Deviation page did not display some taller-than-normal portraits correctly when the page first loaded. Fixed by shahyarg
- The oEmbed API did not contain data for the "moderate" setting for Mature Content. Fixed by randomduck
- The tool buttons have been upgraded to a new look. Designed by zilla774, implemented by mudimba
- A bug related to missing thumbs and previews on drawings was identified. Fixed by sgrahamUK
- When changing the main file of an item originally uploaded through an app, the app attribution will now be cleared. Fixed by kouiskas
- Non-Latin characters are now cleanly stripped from uploaded items' titles, as deviation titles still only support latin characters. Fixed by kouiskas
- When going inside a stack, into an item, and then back to the stack, uploading a file inside the stack would put the file in Sta.sh instead of the stack. Fixed by kouiskas
- Thumbnails of literature submitted through Sta.sh Writer appearing in stacks in the Message Center would have misaligned stack corners. Fixed by kemayo
- Menus in Sta.sh Writer have been changed to be a little more responsive; you can now mouse from one to another without having to click. Fixed by kemayo
- Classes are now allowed on span tags, for skinning purposes. Fixed by Alisey
- Efficiency of fetching your Friends List in Sta.sh Writer's sidebar has been improved; less unnecessary data is pulled, and the menu builds faster. Fixed by kemayo and inazar
Thanks very much for the feedback left on last week's update! Here's some of the feedback you left for us.
- The most common response regarding the friends system was that deviants would like an easy way to separate lists of who they watch from lists of deviants who are their friends. DramiraDarkthorn mentioned that this could also be applied to the Message Center, where new messages from friends could be listed before the general watch section.
- Kitsunechann and Yamitora1 suggested that an easy means of managing and organizing one's friendslist would be helpful, and ShapeShifter314 mentioned that being able to search through one's friends list would be useful as well.
- Some deviants would like stacks within folders in their Message Center. Suggested by Krisoyo
- A search function in Group galleries would be helpful. Suggested by IcyPheonix
- Deviants would like notes sent to Groups to be included in their Sent Notes folder. Suggested by alexpeanut and Magical525
- It would be helpful to be able to add keywords to Groups, so that they can be found more easily when searching in the Groups Portal. Suggested by MartinSilvertant
- Some members would like to apply custom CSS to their Gallery's Featured folder. Suggested by Veroom
The New Mobile Site
We're curious about your feedback on the new mobile site! What do you think of the experience so far? What do you like? What do you think could be improved? Is there anything from the desktop experience you feel is lacking in the mobile experience? Is there anything you think the mobile experience does better? Let us know!