In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
deviantART muro Integration with Sta.sh
Sta.sh is your personal creative space on deviantART, a home to images, writing, animation and everything in between. For writers, creation has also been a part of the Sta.sh environment, with the inclusion of Sta.sh Writer. To help further the potential of creation, we've incorporated deviantART muro within Sta.sh!
The top bar of deviantART muro has been changed to white to reflect its function as a creation tool, and hovering over the deviantART muro logo in the top left corner will now prompt the Sta.sh menu to appear. In addition, deviantART muro can now be accessed in Sta.sh menu from the menu the top left corner, or by clicking on the "Draw with deviantART muro" button in the right column.
The other new addition is the integration of deviantART muro into Sta.sh Writer. When in Sta.sh Writer, you can pull images from your Sta.sh to include in the Writer document, and those images will have a pencil menu button in the top right corner of the image.
An option labeled "Edit in deviantART Muro" has been added to the pencil menu. When selected, it will transfer you to deviantART muro. Once you click Done in deviantART muro, the file will save, and you'll be returned to Sta.sh Writer to continue where you left off.
Art in Journal Thumbnails
When encountering Journal thumbnails on site, the scrolling thumbnail will now also display thumbnails of the artwork included in those journals, so you can see the included artwork before viewing the Journal!
- The count on folders in Notes did not update when a note was deleted. Fixed by shadowhand
- On deviation pages, only the image would scroll horizontally when zoomed in, rather than the entire page. Fixed by aMoniker
- Notes containing some special characters could not be previewed. Fixed by jekor
- The Prints shopping bag icon would not display under thumbnails when browsing in Grid View, and some were cut off in Wall View. Fixed by shahyarg
- The animation for the Poll in the footer would not work on smaller browsers. Fixed by shadowhand
- The Prints menu on deviation pages sometimes rendered incorrectly and wouldn't load properly. Fixed by allixsenos, KnightAR, and shadowhand
- Various enhancements were made to the display and appearance of discounts in the deviantART T-Shirts & Gear shop and Prints widgets. Fixed by yury-n
- The "Add to Wishlist" button on Prints would not display properly when purchasing Prints for another deviant. Fixed by shahyarg
- A very small number of My Earnings records showed an "Unknown" status for some users, and some status update emails were not sent. Fixed by yury-n
- The page settings button on the Browse page has been made larger, and will now show after first clicking the "Show More" button, in order to make it easier to change your browsing preferences. Fixed by helloandre
- Dragging literature items to make a stack would not work properly. Fixed by drommk
- Hovering on an item and then pressing cmd+A to select all items would not visibly work. Fixed by drommk
- Uploading new items in Sta.sh was briefly broken. Fixed by adahacker
- Clicking on the ellipse button to jump to a specific page wasn't working. Fixed by drommk
- When editing, the Mature Content setting couldn't be changed from strict to moderate. Fixed by drommk
- For some categories, literature thumbnails were not building excerpts. Fixed by kemayo
- The Edit Journal buttons were not appearing for beta testers on their Journal page. Fixed by kemayo
- The "Open Last Draft" option in the File menu has been replaced with "Open Draft". Fixed by kemayo
- Changes were made to the behavior of the Drafts folder when the folder is empty. Fixed by kemayo
- Pressing enter in a blockquote would start a new blockquote. Fixed by Alisey
- Fixed alignment issues of skin thumbnails in the "Skins" section of the Writer sidebar. Fixed by Alisey
Thanks very much for the feedback left on last week's update! Here's some of what you had to say.
- Many members were pleased with the changes made to literature deviations.
- Feedback regarding Critique varied. Some members mentioned that they don't use the Critique tool because they don't want their watchers to be notified of the feedback they leave.
- THEDUDEWHODRAWSSTUFF suggested that it would be helpful to be able to filter searches based on whether or not deviations have Critique enabled.
- Feedback regarding the Emoticons tab in Sta.sh Writer's sidebar was greatly positive. Some deviants mentioned that they would like to see that functionality applied to comments as well.
- Several deviants were opposed to the suggestion regarding being able to watch other deviants' Favourites, though others liked the thought of being able to do so provided they could turn it on or off for each deviant they follow.
- Some deviants would like to be able to reply to comments by drawing in deviantART muro from their Message Center. Suggested by Chibicorgi
- It would be helpful if, when watching a deviant, the settings you choose for that deviant are retained when you watch other deviants as well. Suggested by Fehnwrites
Submitting Exclusively to a Group
When you submit a deviation to a single Group and don't submit to your own Gallery, the deviation is labeled as being "exclusive to" the Group and cannot be submitted to any other Groups. This feature allows members to create content specifically for a Group they are a member or admin of. Do you use this feature often? Do you find the feature valuable? How would you like to see it improved?